Sunday, November 1, 2009

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls


I think in the entire universe of baked goods, those made with pumpkin and spices are my very favorites. When I saw the Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls on King Arthur Flour's blog Baker's Banter, I couldn't resist giving the recipe a try.


n.o.e.'s notes:

- I used my food processor to mix up the dough.

- I had some freshly roasted and mashed pumpkin on hand, so that's what I used in this recipe. I made the following substitutions: oil rather than melted butter, and 6 tsp fresh yeast instead of the 2 tsp of instant specified in the recipe. I heaped the measures of spices and added 1/2 tsp fresh nutmeg and 1/8 tsp freshly ground allspice.

- My dough seemed just right before I added any water. Instead of leaving well enough alone, I went ahead and mixed in 1/2 oz water, but it made the dough too sticky and I had to knead in a bit of flour.

- The dough rose quickly.

- To make the cinnamon filling, I mixed:
3/4 c brown sugar
1 T cinnamon
pinch of allspice, cloves and nutmeg
2 T very finely chopped crystallized ginger
finely chopped pecans
golden raisins
- I cut the rolled up dough into 10 spirals and nestled 9 of them in a 9x9 pan, and put the leftover 1 into a ramekin

- After forming the rolls, I popped the pan into the fridge overnight. They rose a bit in the fridge, and rose a little more the next morning as the oven preheated. The rolls puffed up beautifully in the oven.

- While the rolls were baking I was making somevanilla ice cream. I got distracted and walked away from the stove, and my cream, vanilla and sugar boiled merrily. It was ruined for an ice cream base, but turned out to make a fabulous vanilla cream sauce for the cinnamon rolls!


the verdict:

The cinnamon rolls came out of the oven a beautiful golden hue and with a lovely spicy aroma. We ate them warm from the oven with vanilla cream sauce - and without - and they tasted heavenly both ways! While I expected (and wished for) a stronger pumpkin flavor, it was quite subtle. My disappointment was short-lived, however, in face of the sheer deliciousness I was tasting. They were the best cinnamon rolls I've baked, and possibly the best I've eaten. They had a soft chewiness and warm sweet spiciness that was perfect on a Sunday morning in Autumn!

For a different take on these rolls, Mary Ann of Meet Me in the Kitchen made Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with cream cheese glaze.

I'm submitting these rolls to Yeastspotting, a weekly roundup of yeasted baked goods of bakers all over the world.

11 comments:

Audrey said...

They're gorgeous! I definitely haven't done enough fall baking...I'll have to work on that.

Jessica said...

Those look wonderful! I was going to make them for my sister's birthday brunch but, alas, my mom didn't have any dried milk. I ended up making Recipe Girl's Amish Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls, and everyone loved them. I still want to make these and do a comparison.

Pamela said...

Well, that vanilla cream sauce sounds like a delicious, happy accident! They look terrific. I baked them, too but I still haven't gotten them posted.

Laura said...

Yum! I keep forgetting king arthur's blog, thanks for reminding me about it. The rolls looks so amazing.

NKP said...

OH my, I must have one!

Anonymous said...

They look wonderful! I never got a chance to bake them. I don't think I will this pumpkin season, but you never know.

TeaLady said...

Love making cinnamon rolls. These look/sound wonderful

Maybe these for TG morning, or CM morn. Eithr way, they are on my to bake list now.

Di said...

Those look fantastic! This recipe is still on my to-make list. Maybe this weekend...

Kayte said...

I love the photo of the single one best b/c of all that dripping glaze goodness! It looks really really good.

MC said...

Stunning!

Mimi said...

Wow, your pictures are wonderful. The rolls look gorgeous!!

I love the KA site. It is such a good resource for recipes!